Monday, September 3, 2012

9/3/2012 Not the Same Old Story pr


My usual thing is to have a cup of coffee, while waiting for Bill to pick me up.  The waiting room is a pleasant library with tables and books on cancer and a welcomed coffee pot.  This day was similar to all other days except a pleasant lady about my age came in and sat down.  She was friendly and I asked if I could get her a cup of coffee.  She said she just had a cup and she was waiting for her daughter of fifty, who was having radiation treatment for a cancer tumor of the brain and lung cancer.  I thought to myself thats too much to bear.  She continued to tell me her foot still hurt from the recent break.  Then she went on to say she had four children and she lived with the daughter who had the cancer.  This lady I learned had a string of many illnesses.  Some were open-heart surgery, diabetes, high blood pressure and numerous falls.  To say the least she was not happy.  Who could be with so many ills and traumas?  She had no money, as she owed her daughter $500.00, which was half of her monthly income.  She had no teeth.  My heart went out to her.  I listened.  There were cards on the counter near us.  I went over and got one of the cards.  It was for a social worker in the hospital, with her phone number on it.  I asked
If she wanted to use my phone and call for an appointment, instead she held the card tightly to her and said she would do it another time.  In walked Bill.  I introduced her to him.  I did the normal good byes and wished her good health.  She was pleased when I told her I would say prayers for her.  When I walked out to the car with Bill, I looked in my purse and saw I had  monies in my purse.  I reached in, got the monies out, went back in the waiting room, patted her on the shoulder, hugged her, and told her she was dear. She thanked me.  I went out in the sun light and I think of her at this moment, even though days have passed. Hugs to all, phyllis  05/06/1933  www.women70andover.com

No comments:

Post a Comment