Sunday, September 23, 2012

9/23/12 One Two Three? pr


One! Two Three!  You’re out!  Not baseball.  This is the other side of Cancer Radiation of the breast!  What do I mean by that?  My Radiation treatments have taken a turn for the better.  These treatments now consist of the metal block with the special made glass insert with a slant opening in it, just made for my No Boob area.  This is the area across my once breast where the incision now is.  This area is a vulnerable left over of the surgery.  This is the area where the cancer can come back, grow, and show its ugly face.  The block is especially designed for the size of my No Boob area.  The radiation at this point just beams to that part of the No Boob area.  Time wise the time involved is termed “QUICK” I termed it that!  Perhaps it takes a matter of a fast few minutes!  A pleasure.  This is all put in place as all of the Radiation Treatments are for me by Dr. Charles Hechtman, MD/PhD and the large team of doctors and techs of the Radiation Department.  Ms Bernie Boyd and Mariah Millard have been my major techs that I see for most of my treatments.  They are each skilled in their calculations and placement of me on the table.  They have spent many years in school for this procedure.  Most techs in radiation go to school for as many as six years.  They are on their feet all day long running from the radiation room to the patient, getting the table set up for each patient with the patients special made body form on the table and a sheet and roll foam for their legs and a sheet to cover up with, just like a bed.  They want each person to be as comfortable as can be.  They are most kind as they prepare you in the awkward position.  To each of them and Dr. Charles Hechtman MD/PhD I say thank-you, which is very trite.  I say you are all Dear’s for taking the time to come to work on rainy days, for staying until 9 p.m. when needed.  I say I will never forget each of you for being so special and caring and not mentioning it when you got close to my face when I was on the table to see the tears that were sometimes just under my eyelids.  I always wondered if you did see them as you patted my arms when you came in to draw on my No Boob area for your calculations.  You all have added to my quality of life.  You have made me stronger.  If you could hear me, I would say “Whooooo Hooooo!” Thank-you to each of you all wrapped in kindness from me to you  I am glad I choose Halifax Hospital, right here in Daytona Beach, Fl  to lead me on my  Cancer Journey to Wellness I am a lucky duck  at seventy-nine!  Hugs,phyllis 05/06/1933     www.women70andover.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment