Wednesday, June 27, 2012

6/27/12...BY REQUEST..LET'S ADD MORE!

Perhaps this will help clear up..the comment button on this blog site..I think if you have a gmail account it is easy to use the comment button. This also helps get your follow photo up..as on the right side..  I do have one and left a comment easy..what are your thoughts on this..can't use the comment button..you may respond through phyllisreh@aol.com  and put on your message..I have your permission to print it on this blog..no telephone # or email addresses will be published/

  1. Trying to figure out the red comment button..here is my take..I think you must sign in to blogspot..using a gmail address, which I also have..that is the key..because it says now Comment as phyllisreh(Google)..try it that way and see what happens..now I will push the publish button..hugs, phyllis
  2. ReplyDelete
  3.  
  4.  
  5. Hey Phyllis, So I can now post on your site. Great. I see you have a number of other members. It would be interesting if each of us told something of our lives and got to know one another. I think that's what you wanted so, as long as I'm on here, let me make an appeal to the older members to go first, so I know what types of posts you would like.
I will respond to all your emails..or comments on this blog....Jane..thanks for getting your comment on..You may tell your story and ask for comments of similar situations..or how ever you would like someone to respond to you..Hugs,  phyllis     phyllisreh@aol.com    or   www.women70andover.com    hit the blog button to get to this blog..through my website..05/06/1933

1 comment:

  1. Ok,everybody, here goes. A little about me. I am a 72 year old transplant from New York. I moved to Ormond Beach two months after I retired from my job as a hospital administrator in Brooklyn. I left my entire family in the north. Three of my children live in the New York area and one in New Hampshire. Why did I decide to move south? While driving home from work, I often saw old ladies sitting on park benches surrounded by snow in the winter. I would say to myself, "that will be me someday" and the thought absolutely terrified and depressed me.

    When I was in my early 50s, I bought a condo in the lakes area of New Hampshire where I thought I would retire. You couldn't find a more beautiful spot, as I'm sure those of you who have visited New Hampshire will attest to. As I got older, however, I began to wonder how I would maintain the property in the harsh New Hampshire winters. During the time I owned the property it was always rented, so it gave me a nice piece of additional income. I finally began to think of selling it and started to research properties in the south. I found my current location (Ormond Beach) on line and sold my New Hampshire property and bought the home where I currently live. I have to say these have been some of the happiest years of my life. I came here knowing nobody and have made a group of great friends and acquaintances.

    Although I am an introvert, I pushed myself out of my house daily to meet people and joined a number of organizations to make that happen. I became secretary of the Social Committee of my community. This led to a spot on the Board of Directors after a year. Going through the resident list here, I noticed that there were a great number of single people so I started a singles group (mostly women joined but that was fine). We meet monthly and decide what activities we will do during the month, e.g., dinners, plays, museums, concerts, etc. The group has grown to over 50 people and is one of the largest and active in the community. I also started a book club which currently has 12 members and we meet monthly and discuss a book, picked by one of the members. Each member gets the chance to pick the book of her choice. I also volunteer one day a week for the United Way and am an advice giver at Elder Wisdom Circle. This, by the way, I would advise anybody to join. It is such a worthwhile endeavor and your advice letters can make a difference in somebody's life. Look them up on the web; you won't be sorry. The address is www.elderwisdomcircle.org.

    Healthwise, I guess I have been relatively lucky thus far when I see what some other people my age go through. I have severe back problems, which makes it difficult for me to walk but I continue to do as much as I can. I have scoliosis, degenerative disc disease, stenosis, and three slipped discs. Often the pain is pretty bad and, thus far, I have opted not to take narcotics so I am pretty much in pain 24/7. When I feel too sorry for myself, I drive down to a medical center and sit in front of it watching the people go in. Some are in such sad shape that I say to myself "and you think you have problems"?

    I wish I could say that I eat healthy but cooking for one is difficult and often I opt to take the easy way out and eat prepared meals, which I know are not good for you.

    Regarding exercise, I used to be able to walk with a group of ladies but my pain got to a level where I couldn't do that anymore. I now go to Curves three times per week and do stretchercize exercises or water aerobics the other two days. I do take the weekends off.

    Well, I think this is enough about me for now. I'd love to hear about other people in my age bracket. Hope to see all posting soon.

    ReplyDelete