Friday, October 12, 2012

10/12/12 Next Ilness You Do Not Think Of? pr

A few blogs back I mentioned I found a ball the size of a dime in my mouth, just under the salivary gland in the upper side of my cheek.  I was sent to a dental surgeon and he gave me some antibiotics.  He tried to squeeze it out and that is when he told me it was Salivary stones, and told me to take the antibiotics and perhaps it would get smaller and go away.  The five weeks was up yesterday.  I went back to him and he said he would have to do surgery, right then and get it out.  He did.  He showed me tiny stones and debree.  He stitched me up and I ran to the pharmacy to get the pain pills and went to bed with the covers over me.  The definition below describes it clear.  Anyone can get this: be aware!
Salivary stones form when chemicals in the saliva deposit. They mostly contain calcium. The exact cause is not known. But factors contributing to decreased saliva production and/or thickened saliva may be risk factors for salivary stones. These factors include: dehydration, poor eating, and use of certain medications, such as antihistamines, blood pressure drugs, psychiatric drugs, and bladder control drugs. Trauma to the salivary glands may also increase risk for salivary stones.
The stones cause no symptoms as they form, but if they reach a size that blocks the duct, saliva backs up into the gland causing pain and swelling. The pain, which is usually felt in a single gland, may be intermittent and get progressively worse. Inflammation and infection within the affected gland may follow.Hugs, phyllis 05/06/1933     www.women70andover.com

No comments:

Post a Comment